Pages

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Planning for the New Year


   Summer break is screeching close to its end (for me, at least) but it feels like summer is just now starting. We're moved into our house and working on settling in, I just made it up to the Lake for the first time and will be back one more time before school starts. I only have two real weeks at home before school starts. So much to do!
    This year I am looking forward to a fresh start. I fell into my comfortable routine in Okinawa and last school year I was just trying to keep my head above water. This summer I've been reading several books to help me provide more meaningful activities for my students. My readings have helped me develop some goals for the next school year. And with that, I present my goals for the 14/15 SY:

#1. Find time in my schedule for planning and actually stick to it! Planning and lunch rarely happen for the sped teachers I know as minutes and schedules are are always changing.

#2.  Within that planning, schedule common planning time with grade level teachers (life was much easier and instruction more meaningful when this occurred). 

#3. Redefine my philosophy of teaching and reflect on a weekly basis how that is evident in my classroom. You can thank my current read, Teaching with Intention by Debbie Miller for this one! It's a book that definitely found me when I needed it.

#4. Now that I have muddled my way into the Indiana IEP program (ugh) work with former coworkers (who are IEP ninjas) to write the absolute best, most personalized IEPs for my new students. I HATE generic IEPs.

#5. Become more comfortable with the MacBook Pro generously provided by my school district.  I honestly haven't devoted the time necessary to learning the million things I can do with this device and I hope to learn at least three hundred of them this school year. There are many generous and helpful people in the district so I know I can learn from my peers as well as ever helpful YouTube and Google. 

What are some of your goals for the upcoming year?


No comments:

Post a Comment